Phone: +61 467 387 241
Grad Cert of Information Technology, Swinburne University (2008); Grad Cert of Business (Project Management), Swinburne University (2007); MA (Counter-Terrorism Studies), Monash University (2007); MSc (Strategic Foresight), Swinburne University (2005); BA (Cinema Studies, Politics, Philosophy), La Trobe University (2002).
My in-progress PhD (Monash University) develops a new conceptual theory of terrorist strategic subcultures. It uses case study and process tracing methods to examine Japan’s Aum Shinrikyo. I have contributed articles to Contemporary Security Policy, Media International Australia, Journal of Futures Studies, and Media/Culture journals. I am currently a Senior Research Officer at The University of Melbourne’s Graduate School of Education. I have previously held positions at The Australian National University, The University of Queensland, Bond University, Victoria University, Swinburne University, and in the Smart Internet Technology Cooperative Research Centre.
I have presented research findings to the International Studies Association, the Association of Internet Researchers, the Telecommunications Society of Australia, the East-West Center in Washington DC, Sensis, Telstra, Westpac, and other organisations. I edited and wrote for the Disinformation website (1998-2008), and also contributed articles with original research to 21C, REVelation, Desktop, Marketing, Information Age, Artbyte, Playboy.com’s ‘Digital Culture’ magazines, and La Trobe University’s Rabelais student newspaper (1994-2004).
- LinkedIn profile
- ORCID record
- Google Scholar profile and citations
- Academia.edu profile
- Twitter account
- Australian International Political Economy Network
- Australian Political Studies Association
- International Studies Association
- Alex Burns and Ben Eltham. ‘Australia’s Strategic Culture: Constraints and Opportunities in Security Policymaking.’ In Jeffrey S. Lantis (ed.). Strategic Cultures and Security Policies in the Asia-Pacific. New York: Routledge, 2015, 22-45.
- Alex Burns and Ben Eltham. ‘Australia’s Strategic Culture: Constraints and Opportunities in Security Policymaking.’ 2014. Contemporary Security Policy 35(2): 187-210.
- Alex Burns and Stephen McGrail. ‘Examining Possible Internet Futures.’ 2012. Journal of Futures Studies 16(4): 33-49.
- Alex Burns, ‘Doubting the Global War on Terror.’ 2011. M/C Journal 14(1) (March).
- Alex Burns and Ben Eltham. ‘Catastrophic Failure Theories and Disaster Journalism: Evaluating Media Explanations of Australia’s ‘Black Saturday’ Bushfires.’ 2010. Media International Australia 137 (November), 90-99. (Publisher accepted version.)
- Alex Burns and Ben Eltham. ‘The Film Finance Corporation and Hollywood’s Race to the Bottom.’ 2010. Media International Australia 136 (August), 103-118. (Publisher accepted version.)
- Alex Burns, ‘Oblique Strategies for Ambient Journalism.’ 2010. M/C Journal 13(2) (May).
- Alex Burns and Ben Eltham. ‘Twitter Free Iran: An Evaluation of Twitter’s Role in Public Diplomacy and Information Operations in Iran’s 2009 Election Crisis.’ 2009. In Papandrea, Franco & Mark Armstrong (Eds.).Record of the Communications Policy & Research Forum 2009. Sydney: Network Insight Institute, 298-310.
- Alex Burns, ‘Select Issues With New Media Theories of Citizen Journalism.’ 2008. M/C Journal 11(1) (April).
- Trevor Barr, Alex Burns, and Darren Sharp. Smart Internet 2010. Sydney: Smart Internet Technology CRC, 2005.
- Strategic Culture
- Evolutionary Psychiatry
- Crisis Theory